Mongar in eastern Bhutan is largely known as the “Bastion of the Zhongarps,” after the illustrious Dzongpons of Zhongar that played significant role in the history of Bhutan. One can still see the ruins of the Zhongar Dzong next to the highway in Lingmethang before reaching Mongar. The main inhabitants are the Tshanglas and the Kurtoeps. They speak the tshanglakha and the Kurtoepaikha and are famous for wood carvings and extracting oil from lemon grass.
The new Dzong in Mongar was built at the initiative of the third King Jigme Dorji Wangchuck in 1953. Today the dzong is the centre of administration and religious of the district.
The highlight of the dzong is the annual three day tshechu that is held in the month of November. It is witnessed by people from as far as Trashigang and Lhuentse.