Trongsa (The new village) has been a place of great significance in the history of Bhutan. It is the ancestral home of Bhutan’s Royal Family and it was from this region that the first two kings ruled the country from. It was only during the reign of the Third King Jigme Dorji Wangchuck that the summer capital got shifted to Thimphu.
Trongsa Dzong, which was known as Druk Minjur Chhoekhor Rabten Tse as it had been established by Chhoeje Minjur Tempa, acted as the control center for the whole of eastern Bhutan.
The ancient trade routes used to pass right through the Dzong. The Dzong which is the longest in the country has been witness to many significant events that shaped the history of Bhutan since the 16th century. It is at the Trongsa Dzong that the future kings of Bhutan formalize their accession to the Golden Throne by being appointed the Chhoetse Penlop before being enthroned as the King of Bhutan. Ugyen Wangchuk the first hereditary monarch had been serving as the Trongsa Penlop or the Chhoetse Penlop before being unanimously elected as the King in 1907.
Places of interest: